Welcome To My Weblog :-)

Let's dialogue!

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Review: The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This launched it all. I read it so very long ago, when it first came out, and on an airplane. I sobbed on that plane in the middle of the night when all were sleeping. The is one of the most richly evocative pieces of literature ever. She gets into the very fabric and layers of the mother-daughter relationship, on a universal level, not just Chinese. She has one of the finest ears for dialogue in the business. The nuances of this will eave you breathless, gorgeously written, beautifully layered. This was one of those rare novels I associate with having read before the internet, and of course I was on an airplane flight to India, so there were no interrupts. It's heartbreaking and joyous in one, one of those rare novels with tone, and dialogue, and content, and imagery...the whole shebang. Go for it--you have a treat waiting :-)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment