Welcome To My Weblog :-)

Let's dialogue!

Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2019

Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was swept into another time, another era, an altogether different culture with norms and mores so fancifully different, it beguiled me into luxuriating into a completely different set of people. Notwithstanding the notion of women being treated such as they were, not accounting for women existing for the pleasure of men ... Golden's treatment of this micro-culture is astonishing, his sympathy for each character, rendered in luminous and vivid prose, almost poetic. I couldn't put it down. So much more than an anthropological, historical, cultural deep dive, it's literature, the writing is that good--content and style, all of it is beautiful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment