Welcome To My Weblog :-)

Let's dialogue!

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Review: The Sea

The Sea The Sea by John Banville
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Banville is the master, truly one of the greatest English writers living today, not hyperbole. So beautiful, pregnant with longing and rich dense, brimming with goodness. This is what I remember of the book: I finished it at night, before going to bed, and as I turned the last page, read the final sentence, I felt that if nothing else happened to me, if I didn't live another day, if my life were to end in that instant, I'd have no regrets. I'd die a happy and content woman. This memory so viscerally vivid. Banville doesn't just "write," he sculpts language as clay, as Michelangelo to marble, literally waxes red blood filled veins of description. Many complain that Banville can be cold, cool surgically precise, and yes that's true in many of his novels, but in The Sea, he pours his heart, and it brims with love. Banville is our modern day Proust.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment